Saturday, June 12, 2010

Subway Memories


My first job as a 16-year-old girl was at one of the three Subways in my hometown. (There are now about 20.) It was a fun job, and I really enjoyed it most of the time. My favorite sub was the chicken fajita, and my heart broke when they quit selling it. I always smelled like onions and mayonnaise whatever I did. I remember vividly working in the evening, then going into the bathroom to remove my braids and brush my hair and get ready to go to my boyfriend's house. In his basement, we would sit in the dark watching cheesy horror movies while he tried to grope me under the blanket. But I digress...

The cookies at Subway are awesome for some reason. I haven't had one for many years now. I rarely go to Subway anymore, but when I do, I get the veggie sub (duh) with no cheese, all the veggies, and spicy mustard. On wheat bread, which I recently realized contains honey. Not vegan. And then I pay the same amount of money as people who pile cheese and meat on their subs. But whatever. It's okay if we are on the road and my choices are Subway or McDonalds. That's a no-brainer.

When I worked at Subway, we were allowed to eat a sub for free during our break, and we were allowed all the free pop we wanted. We were not allowed free cookies, but occasionally I had to sneak into the freezer, steal a frozen cookie, and eat it quickly before I was discovered. My boss, a very large man, sat in the back room smoking cigars all the time.

I came across this recipe the other day for Subway chocolate chip cookies, veganized. These are the healthiest cookies I have ever seen. It changes the way I think about making cookies. I mean, there's no flour, no grains. Only almond meal and cashews ground up fine. Maple syrup instead of sugar, coconut oil instead of oil or shortening. There is fat, of course, but good fats. Obviously, they needed to be made. And today was the day.

I ground up the raw cashews in my coffee grinder, which worked wonderfully. I already had some almond meal. Everything came together wonderfully, and the batter tasted good. My only complaints were the recipe only made maybe a dozen cookies, so I would double it next time. Also, I had to cook them a bit longer than suggested, and even after they cooled, they fell apart quite easily.

Other than that, YUM! I wouldn't really say that they taste just like Subway cookies, because I can't really remember. But that part doesn't really matter. The fact is, they taste really good. Garrett has been munching away and they are almost gone. I better go get one more before they disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment