Sunday, October 11, 2009

So Cheezy!

One of the vegan ingredients I could never live without is nutritional yeast. I recently bought The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak. Man, I wish I would have had this book a long time ago. I decided to make an attempt at one of the block cheezes and made the Buffalo Mostarella. I cooked it yesterday, put it in a loaf pan and let it cool overnight. Today I took it out of its mold, sliced some of it and took a picture for this blog. Unfortunately, Grace was playing with my camera today, and somehow, there are no pictures on the card anymore.

Anyway, you will have to take my word for it. This tastes nothing like mozzarella cheese, but it is very yummy. It doesn't slice easily, and it's still kind of mushy, but that's okay too. I made a grilled cheeze with it for lunch, and it was delish.

Funny side note - I am doing a series of stories for the paper about farming in the area. First was crops, then dairy, and I am now working on the hog story. Of all people to go interview these farmers...I feel bad for the dairy farmers who are hemmorhaging money, but inside I am cheering when they say things like, "Dairy consumption has decreased over the last year..." I wish that while interviewing them, I could ask things like, "So how much pus really is allowed into each gallon of milk?" and "Did you know that the animal protein in milk is actually bad for your bones?"

Wait until I get to the beef story- I'd like to bring up the fact that red meat is the leading cause of colon cancer. But, of course, I won't. I will bite my tongue.

Back to the cheeze...I am going to put some on a pizza this week. I have some whole wheat flat bread that is going to be the crust. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment