Monday, February 8, 2010

Medicinal Soup


This weekend I watched the movie Julie and Julia at my mother's insistence that I would love it. Pretty sure my mom has no idea how grossed out I would be by the TONS of butter used in the film, or the cutting up of animals, and boiling lobsters live in a pot. UGH! But still, the movie was OK. It made me feel like cooking, anyway.

Grace has been sick with a cold over the weekend. She had a fever, runny nose, and nasty cough. I made her some Chickpea Noodle Soup from Veganomicon. I did not use the soba noodles because it said they would swell up a lot if it wasn't eaten up right away. I broke up some whole wheat linguine instead, and it was perfect. I also added kale (of course) for the nutrition, color, and taste. It was a steaming bowl full of chickpeas, noodles, mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic, kale, vegetable broth, and dried herbs. It was also a steaming bowl full of nutrition and vitamins Grace needed to fight off her cold, and I needed to keep the cold away (so far so good!).

Grace hadn't eaten much all day except a bit of a smoothie, but when I gave her this soup, she scarfed it down, and then asked for more. I was so excited!

Grace just informed me that she feels better, even though she still has "the coughs." I like to think this soup helped her little body along. Plus, it was really delicious.

Off to eat some good food to help keep my immune system up. Being surrounded by sick people at work is not fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment