Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Pesto Pasta!


I love this pasta salad. I have only made it a couple of times. It's actually a pretty expensive salad. I would never make it for a get-together or anything like that, because I am selfish and want to keep it to myself. Pine nuts are anything but cheap. And I bought fresh basil, too. I recently found some boxes of spelt pasta at the B&D, and it is so delicious! I think it's nice to have something other than wheat once in a while.

And the artichokes really make the salad. So yummy and salty and tasty. Grace even liked the salad. It's such a fun bright green color. And the taste of basil...ahh heaven.

Artichoke-Pesto Penne Pasta Salad

1 pkg whole wheat penne pasta (or any variety, really)
4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
olive oil
1 cup pine nuts
handful baby spinach
2 handfuls fresh basil
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (or Parmesan cheese, if you swing that way)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 can artichoke hearts
salt and pepper

Cook pasta, drain and rinse with cold water. Saute garlic in a bit of olive oil until it starts to turn brown. Turn off heat and toss in pine nuts for a minute. Put garlic, nuts, basil, spinach, nutritional yeast, and lemon juice in food processor and blend until smooth. Slowly drizzle some olive oil into the processor until it reaches a nice creamy consistency. Drain and chop artichoke hearts, then mix with the pasta and pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment:

  1. This looks SOOO good! I'm going to make it next week! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete